The arias in this collection are taken from Sir Henry Rowley Bishop’s English adaptation of Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro, performed at London’s Theatre Royal, Covent Garden, in 1819. In reworking Mozart’s masterpiece for the British stage, Bishop translated the opera into English, reduced the number of acts, cut over half of the score, inserted twelve new pieces, drew additional material from other popular operas, and even introduced a new character. This selection of arias for soprano includes English versions of some of Mozart’s most beloved numbers as well as new arias composed or compiled by Bishop.
1. Aid me! ye pitying pow’rs!, Henry Rowley Bishop
2. All these jealous doubts removing, Unknown
3. Come hither!, W. A. Mozart
4. Love! ever leave me, Mozart
5. Ne’er can the rose, Unknown
6. Oh, this love!, Mozart
7. The youth, in his blooming array, Bishop